Friday, September 27, 2013

Food Frenzy Friday (Individual Apple Crisp Pies)

I thought it would be appropriate to make an apple dessert, since it is apple season.  Besides...I had 3 apples that were starting to wrinkle a bit, so I needed to do something with them.  
Every year I make apple crisp for my family, but this year it is only my husband and me.  I didn't want to make the normal 9x13 pan of apple crisp, so I decided individuals would be great.
A few weeks ago I tried these individual peach pie desserts on my 'Pies' Pinterest board.  I have to say both of us (my husband & I) ended up throwing our individual peach pies out.  We both realized that we don't care for baked peaches & that I will never make any type of bake peach again.  
On the 'individual peach pie' website, they said that you could use the same method with apples.  
That is where I got the idea of making an individual apple pie, but I made it my own by adding the (apple) crisp to the middle of the pie & topping each pie with the remaining apple crisp.

What you will need:
Apples (any variety), store bought pie crust (or your own recipe), brown sugar, oatmeal, butter, cinnamon & sugar.
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Peel and core the apples.
Cut the apples in half.
Stuff the apples with crisp filling (see below recipe).
Roll out the pie crust (just a bit), sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar.  
Cut the pie crust in 1/4 (or less depending on how many apples you are using). 
Wrap the apples with the pie crust.
Place in a shallow pan (8x8 or 9x13 depending on how many apples).
Poke crust with fork.
Sprinkle with the remaining apple crisp topping.
Bake for 15-20 minutes (uncovered) or until the crust is a light brown and the apples are baked. 
I poked a fork into one of the apples to make sure they were the consistency I wanted.
Top with vanilla ice cream & ENJOY!
Apple Crisp Filling:
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Oats 
2 TBLS. Butter
Mix together brown sugar and oats.  
Cut in butter. 

The best part about this recipe...it was easy!  
I hope this jump starts your fall baking!
~Julie

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover