Friday, December 13, 2013

Muslin Star Ornament

While surfing the internet, I saw this super cute ornament and thought it would be an ideal gift to give to my daughter's teachers for Christmas. I didn't see a tutorial, but it looked pretty easy to make, so I made one up.

Today I would like to share that tutorial with you!

Here is what you will need...
- Muslin material
- Star cut out to trace
- Ruler (not pictured)
- Chalk pen (not pictured)
- Rotary cutter (not pictured)
- Scissors
- Burlap
- Spray adhesive
- Jute/Twine
- Hot glue gun
- Jingle bells

Here is what to do...
Fold your muslin material in half and lay flat. Take your star cut out and trace it on the muslin material using your chalk pen. This way you are cutting 2 pieces at once.
Tip: I used my chalk pen because it brushed right off and doesn't leave a mark!
(believe it or not, there is one already traced above the cut out.)
I only had yellow chalk pen, which made it difficult to see, so if you have a blue or green one...use it!!

Next, take your rotary cutter and cut out your stars using your ruler to make sure the lines are straight.

Now, pull out your sewing machine and sew the two star pieces together. I chose to make a 1/8" seem.
Be sure to leave an opening so you can stuff it with the batting.

Next, stuff your star with batting. Be sure to stuff the whole thing, meaning, take your finger and stuff the batting into all 4 of the sewn corners of the star. Place some extra batting onto the unsewn 5th corner so it's not limp when you sew it shut. 

Now sew your star shut. Be sure to take your time on this step because it can be tricky lining up your seem while working around the puff that the batting created.

Now it time to cut out your burlap star.
I took the same star cut out and trimmed it 7/8" all around. I chose 7/8" because I measured my muslin star and figured about how far in I wanted the burlap star to sit.
Tip: I applied a little double-sided tape on the back of the star cut out in order to keep the star still on the burlap while cutting.
Then using the same materials I used to cut out the star on the muslin material, I cut my burlap stars.

Now for the sticky part...Take your spray adhesive (I used Elmer's) and spray your burlap star - then apply it to the muslin star. Press lightly and hold for about 10 seconds and then let it set for about 10 minutes.

Once the adhesive is dry, plug in your hot glue gun. While your gun is heating up start cutting your twine/jute.

Next, put a little dab of hot glue on one tip of the star and attach your jute/twine. Then add a little more glue on top of the jute/twine where the ends meet and add your jingle bell.

Once it's all dried, you can hang it!

Easy Peasy!
I can't wait to give these to my daughter's teachers!
Happy Creating ~ Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover