Wednesday, January 15, 2014

DIY Removable Accent Shelves/Bookcase

Last week I shared with you the DIY Throw Pillow Covers I made which was the first part of my 'Living Room Redecorating' project.  I hope you had a chance to check it out and maybe even attempt some for your home!

Today I would like to share with you the shelves I redecorated using the same material from the pillow covers!


Our home came with these recessed shelves/bookcase, which was a selling point for me because it showed character! We painted them white and stacked books on them.  I had a few photos, but I felt it was time to change it up! I had seen where people had put color on the back wall of the shelves and I loved the idea, but I didn't want to do something permanent, just in case I changed my mind again in a few months...hehe!

So, let me share with you how to make these removable accent shelves...

You will need the following:

- White Foam/Poster Board
- Material of your choice
- Tape Measure
- Cutting Mat
- Ruler
- Rotary Cutter
- Adhesive Spray

First, you need to measure your shelves width and height and then cut your foam/poster board to those measurements.  I used my sewing cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter because I feel that's the easiest way for me to get an even cut, but you may have a different method.

Next, you need to cut your material. You will need to lay the board onto the material and add cut the material about 2 inches wider than the board for all the edges.

After you have cut your material, it would be best to iron the piece.  You will want them to be as smooth as possible in order to make it easier to apply them to the foam/poster board.

Now you're ready to apply the material to the board!
I did this in two sections in order to make it easier to lay the material as flat as possible.
I sprayed the adhesive on the left side of the board first and laid the whole piece of material on top of the board - centered. I then smoothed out the left side where I had sprayed the adhesive.

Then, I sprayed the rest of the board and smoothed out the rest of the material on top of that.

Next, I flipped the board over and sprayed the edge pieces and folded them over the board.

I folded the long ends first....

Then I folded the short ends.

Here is what they look like when they are finished.

Next, slide them onto the back of the shelf and add your décor!


I am so happy with this project!  I really feel it adds that pop of color to the shelves! No more plain white!  The best part is it's the same color as my throw pillows!

Happy Creating!

~ Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover