Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mason Jar Gift

Through out the school year my daughter is sent home with a monthly calendar which shows all the birthdays for her teachers, so I wanted to come up with a gift that would be useful and inexpensive since there are 6 teachers at her preschool and it's best to keep the gift universal (in my opinion ~ I grew up with a sister!). 
 
This is what I came up with...
 
Here is what you will need (spray paint and heart cut out not included in this picture)...
 
Here is how they are made...
 
I started by place a piece of tape across the jar and then centered my heart cut out (which I cut using my Cricut) on the tape.  I then took a box cutter and cut around the heart cut out.  Then I took off the heart cut out and pealed off the tape so all that was left was the heart-shaped tape.
 
Next comes the spray paint! As always, I used my favorite Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover spray paint and I used a flat finish for this project.
I sprayed the entire outside of the jar, including the bottom and when it was dry I pealed off the heart-shaped tape.
 
Next I attached the wire handle.
I used 22 gage Florist wire because that's what I had on hand, but any thin wire will work.
I started with one strand around the top of the jar in order to have something to attached the handle to. 

Then I attached the handle.  I looped it around one side of the jar and twisted it close on the other side.
(tip: when you cut off the ends of the wire, be sure to press them down as flat as you can so they don't stick out, for safety purposes!)
Lastly, I added the final touches...
I tied twine (or jute) around the top and popped in the candle and ta-da....it's done!
 
These can be great Christmas gifts too...just an idea!
 
~Kerri
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover