Friday, October 11, 2013

Somewhat Healthy Mac & Cheese

Today for 'Food Frenzy Friday', I want to share with you a new recipe I made up.  Well, not completely made up...I put 2 recipes together to make this healthier version of mac & cheese. 
It is that time of year that 'comfort food' is coming into play & we needed comfort food for dinner one night!  
I found a 'healthier' mac & cheese recipe that I have been wanting to try and realized that I didn't have all of the ingredients.  So, I went to an old stand by recipe I use for mac & cheese (which is not very healthy) and decided that I could put both of those recipes together and use what ingredients I did have.
In one of my older posts I shared that I try not to eat bread (or carbs for that matter).  
How can you do that with mac & cheese?  
Well here is my solution:  
Cauliflower and whole wheat noodles.
Here is what you need for 'Healthier' Mac & Cheese:
1 1/2 Cups (6 oz.) Dry Whole Wheat Elbow Noodles
2 Cups of Steamed Cauliflower (Chopped to the consistency you like)
1 1/2-2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
2 TBLS. Butter
1 1/2 Cups Milk (I used 1%)
1/4 (Light) Sour Cream
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 tsp. Salt
2-3 dashes (depending on your tastes) Tabasco Sauce
Bread Crumbs (to sprinkle on top)
Cheese to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 dish with non-stick cooking spray.  
Bring a medium to large sauce pan of lightly salted water to a boil.  Add noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
While noodles are cooking: Cook the cauliflower in the microwave for 8-10 minutes.  Heat the milk in a small sauce pan, stir in mustard, worcestershire sauce, salt and tabasco sauce.  Then stir in sour cream. 
After you drain the noodles: Stir in the cauliflower, 2 TBLS. butter and the cheese.  Then, pour the milk mixture over the cheese and noodles.  Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle some cheese on top and the bread crumbs.  
Bake for 30 minutes.
Then...ENJOY (as a side dish or main dish)!

Hope this recipe helps with your 'comfort' food cravings!
~Julie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover