Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Decorative 'Harvest' Blocks

Okay, so this is by far my FAVORITE project!  I think it's so stink'n cute and it's so simple. I found the idea on Pinterest (click here for the website). Best of all, I spent $0 on it!  Yay! If you're a crafter, most likely you have all the supplies in your collection as well!


Here is what you will need:
- Different shaped blocks (cut by my husband & sanded by me!)
- Scrapbooking paper (design & color of your choice)
- Mod Podge & sponge paint brush
- Sandpaper ~ and grit, I used 80 (not in picture)
- Brown (or black) Distress Ink pad, which you can find at Michael's, JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby
- Vinyl letter, which I cut out using my Cricut!
- Raffia, twine or jute

Here is what to do:
(by the way, I apologize for all the pictures, but I really wanted to show you the step-by-step process of this project)
You will start by figuring out your layout. Set up your blocks how you would like it to be when the letters are put on.  This was my layout.
Next you will need to figure out your letter size for each block.  Obviously, I'm a visual learner, so I made a chart! Then, using your Cricut (or a Silhouette if you have one) cut your letters with your preferred font.

Then you will need to cut your scrapbooking paper out to fit each block. I laid the block on the paper and marked where I wanted to cut.

Then I cut it!

Next, I applied one application of Mod Podge onto the back of the scrapbooking paper and 'pasted' it onto the block.

Then I laid them faced down so they would dry flat.  I let them sit over night, but it usually dries within 1 hour.

Next, I trimmed the extra paper and sanded all the edges to give it a distressed feel.

And to further that distress feel, I used my Distress Ink pad along the edges and a bit along the outer part of the paper.

I used my finger to rub in the ink along the paper, which I could have done with a rag, but I was too lazy to get up and get one...The ink came off by the next day!
~ Great conversation piece for my 3-year old!

Next, I laid out my blocks according to the layout I already decided on in the beginning and moved a few around so the colors of the paper looked good (meaning, I tried not to put a yellow block next to a yellow and a purple next to a purple...) 

Then it was time for the letters.  They all fit for the most part, but I did over-measure some, so I played with it and flattened it out. You can't even tell!

And for the final touch, I added some raffia.  You can use twine , but I liked the way the raffia looked for my blocks.

And you're done!  How easy was that? 
I guess the hardest part was sanding the blocks in the beginning because I hate sanding!

Happy creating!
~ Kerri

2 comments:

Pin It button on image hover