Friday, February 7, 2014

Valentine's Day Blocks

One more week!!  Are you ready for Valentine's Day?  Don't worry...we are here to help!
 
Today I would like to share with you more Valentine's Décor...
"Be Mine" blocks.
 
 
These were made similarly to the way I made my "Harvest" blocks.
I had my husband cut these blocks for me out of wood we had in the garage.  The size ranges from 6 1/2" x 5 1/2" to 4 1/2" x 5 1/2", but you can cut yours to any size your desire.  I sanded the edges down a little bit so I wouldn't get splinters!
 

Next, I set them up in the order I wanted them and marked the letters (and heart) on the bottom of the block so I always knew the layout I wanted.
 
Then with some scrapbooking paper I purchased at Michael's I figured out the layout of the paper, meaning, I mixed it up with colors and design so it wasn't too much of the same thing in one area.
 
When I figured out what paper I wanted on which block, I measured each paper for cutting.  I laid each block on the corner of the paper I had chosen for that block and marked the length and width.  Then I cut it with my paper cutter. 
 
I grabbed my good 'ol Mod Podge and sponge paint brush and applied a medium size coat to the back of the paper and laid it flat onto the block.  I then flipped it upside down (paper side down) to dry.
 
Next, I grabbed my sandpaper again and sanded all the edges of each block to create a distressed look.
 
Now for the fun...
I cut out my letters and heart with my Cricut (but if you don't have a Cricut, maybe you have a Silhouette or you can purchase letters from your favorite craft store.  Remember, you don't have to use card stock like I did!)  I applied them using adhesive tape.
 
I then figured out what ribbon I wanted on which block (same way I figured out the paper layout), cut them to size and applied them using the adhesive tape again.  Because my blocks are 1 1/2" wide, as well as the ribbon, I ran a strip of the adhesive tape along both edges on the ribbon. Then I applied it to the edges of the block. 
 
That's it!  This took me no time at all to complete and I have a toddler and baby...so you can do it too!
 
 
~ Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover