Wednesday, April 9, 2014

No Sew Easter/Spring Banner

Today I would like to share with you the banner I made for my Easter/Spring decor.  I love how simple this banner is and how easy it was to make...no sewing!!!


A little side note, this is my mom's mantel.  I didn't have a good place to display the banner in my house, so I'm high jacking my mom's mantel so it looks cute in the pictures!!  Ha!

Let's get started on the tutorial:

I created a templet for the the banners in order to make it easy to cut out the pieces.  I basically eye-balled how big I wanted each banner and cut it out on standard card stock.  I then laid in on my muslin material and cut each banner out using my rotary cutter.  You can use sciccors if you don't have a rotary cutter, but make sure they are sharp sciccors since you're cutting material and you want to have a clean cut.

Next I laid out each banner onto my interfacing and ironed them on.  I used interfacing because I wanted some weight to my banner, but you can always opt out of this if you like the way the material lays by itself. Be sure to read the directions that come with the interfacing in order to be sure you are ironing the material onto the correct side!

I then trimmed the pieces.

Next, I brought in the color!  I found this cute material at JoAnn's and thought it would be perfect Easter/Spring colors!

I needed to adjust my template so the patterned material pieces I cut were smaller than the muslin pieces.  So, I measured 1" all around the template and cut.

I then cut my patterned material pieces the same way I cut the muslin pieces; using the template and rotary cutter.

Next step was applying the two pieces of material together using my adhesive spray.  So, I went outside, since it gets messy!!  I sprayed the back of the patterned material and laid it flat onto the muslin, spreading it with the palm of my hand.  I repeated this step for each banner.

The final step was attaching the twine, and for this I used my handy glue gun!

I applied 2 dots of glue on each side of the banner in order for the banner to hang evenly onto the twine.

And I was done!  So simple.  This project took me about 1 hour and I didn't have to pull out my sewing machine for it!!!

I'm sure your local fabric store has some really cute Easter/Spring material on sale right now, so get out there and start creating something!

~ Kerri

1 comment:

  1. I love your mom's mantel! and of course your banner too!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover