Friday, March 28, 2014

(Copy Cat) Del Taco Carnitas Fries Recipe

Warning: this post is going to make you hungry!
Since Kerri brought back Food Frenzy Friday a few weeks ago, I thought I would follow in her footsteps with this yummy recipe.  I have to say...it's one of our favorites at this house (umm...pretty sure everything we cook is a favorite at our house, we like to eat)! We first had these last summer at our local Del Taco and boy were they out of this world! After we ate them a few times, I decided to make my own and they were just as good.


Ingredients Needed:
Pork Roast
Potatoes 
Sour Cream
Cheese
Cilantro
White Onions
Hot Sauce
Cooking Spray
Salt & Pepper

In the morning I put the pork roast in the crock pot and only season it with salt and pepper and cover it with water. I  usually cook it on low all day (approximately 7 hours), but if I am home I will cook it for less time.

To make your fries from scratch, you will need 3-4 potatoes (or more depending on how many you are feeding), cooking spray, and salt and pepper. Wash your potatoes, then cut them lengthwise, spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray and then spread out the fries. After the fries are spread out on the cookie sheet, spray them again with cooking spray, then sprinkle salt and pepper on them. Bake for around 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the crispness you like) at 375 degrees. If you don't want to make the fries from scratch, then you can use the frozen store bought ones; either way they are good.
After the fries are done baking, you get to build your carnitas fries! It's simple, you just put the fries on the bottom, then put the shredded meat, sour cream, cheese, onion and cilantro and whaa-la there you have it...carnitas fries! The ones I make at home are just as tasty as the ones at Del Taco, but they are better for you...not as much fat. I always use light sour cream and baking the fries without oil or butter cut down on the fat as well. So if you are wanting something new and yummy to eat this weekend, why not try some carnitas fries! I don't think you will regret it.

Have a fabulous Friday!
~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover